Dr Ross G.T. Walker
Expertise with particular emphasis on
Preventative Cardiology and Cardiac Imaging
Professional Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Physicians
Credentialsand Member of the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (1990)
Qualified as a Cardiologist in 1986
Completed Specialist Physicians Examination in 1983
passed at first sitting – achieved by only one in ten candidates
Graduated as a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
University of New South Wales – 1978
Ranked 7th in a class of 250
Career Highlights and Achievements
2001 Presentation at American College of Cardiology Meeting, Orlando Florida March 2001
Extent of coronary artery calcification in elderly healthy Adventist volunteers compared to a healthy age matched general population.
Journal of the American College of Cardiology (Suppl.A), Vol. 37(2): 153A
Coronary artery calcium scores show excellent agreement between fast gated helical CT and EBCT in two large populations of similar age and coronary risk.
Journal of the American College of Cardiology (Suppl.A), Vol. 37(2): 428A
Lp(a) is an independent predictor of coronary atherosclerotic burden.
Journal of the American College of Cardiology (Suppl.A), Vol. 37(2): 296A.
2001 Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand Meeting, Auckland
A nomogram for the Australian population developed from coronary artery calcium scores using fast gated CT.
Lp(a) is an independent predictor of coronary atherosclerotic burden in asymptomatic males and females.
Potential impact of coronary calcium screening on targeting cholesterol lowering therapy in asymptomatic middle aged men.
Appeared on American television with Dr Robert Atkins and Dr Dean Ornish discussing diet and lifestyle.
1999 Established Sydney Heart Image in conjunction with the Sydney Adventist Hospital. Sydney Heart Image was the first service in Australasia to offer gated coronary calcium scoring, the current best non-invasive method to detect early heart disease.
1999-present Director of Sydney Heart Image.
1995-present Professional Speaker. Dr Walker lectures extensively throughout the world to many business and medical groups on lifestyle, health and stress management issues.
He delivers keynote addresses, seminars and workshops on various topics including:
- The Five Point Way to a Health Life
- Diet, Antioxidants and Health
- The Five Point Way to a Stress Free Life
- How to Discover Perfect Sleep
- Advanced Brain Power
- Building Strategic Partnerships.
Dr Walker has published three best-selling books on preventative health:
- “If I Eat Another Carrot I’ll Go Crazy!”, Kingsclear Books (1996)
- “What’s Cookin’ Doc”, Kingsclear Books (1998)
- “Highway to Health”, GoKo Management, Kingsclear Books (2000)
and is in the process of completing two further books on related topics. He has also commenced writing a novel.
Dr Walker also has a series of video and audio productions on preventative health.
He has performed 22,000 echocardiograms, 11,000 stress echocardiograms and 2,500 trans-thoracic echocardiograms.
He has the largest experience in the world in non EBCT calcium scoring of the coronary arteries using helical CT. Dr Walker has performed 11,000 studies.
October 1994 Established a Private Cardiology Practice in Sydney
Appointed to the Sydney Adventist Hospital to provide a comprehensive service in Echocardiology.
As the largest Cardiology department in New South Wales in the State’s largest private hospital, this hospital employs 20 cardiologists and conducts 15 bypass procedures per week.
1993-1994 Established the Baringa Cardiology Centre in Coffs Harbour, on the coast of New South Wales, half-way between Sydney and Brisbane.
Performed the first multiplane trans-oesophageal echocardiogram in Australia.
Established a state-of-the-art service in stress echocardiography
Enrolled over 200 patients in the LIPID trial, a trial of cholesterol reduction of patients with acute myocardial infarction or unstable angina, with cholesterol abnormalities – making the Centre the largest in New South Wales.
1992 Undertook extensive training in trans-thoracic echocardiography, stress echocardiography and Dobutamine echocardiography in major European Centres of Excellence.
University of Bonn, Germany
The Thorax Centre, Rotterdam, Holland.
1991 Commenced training in trans-thoracic echocardiography
Prince Charles Hospital, Brisbane
1987-1991 Consultant Cardiologist (private practice)
Coffs Harbour, New South Wales
Principal investigator for the Coffs Harbour region for two thrombolytic therapy trials.
1981-1986 Specialist training in Cardiology
Prince Henry, Prince of Wales Hospitals, Sydney
Played a key role in the establishment of the first Doppler service in Australia.
Developed skills in echocardiography and Doppler echocardiography.
Involvement in Educational Activities
Delivered a seminar on all aspects of echocardiography at the Jerudong Park Medical Centre in Brunei – September 1995
● Delivered a seminar on echocardiography and trained local cardiologists in trans-thoracic echocardiography in Indonesia – July 1995
● Member of the teaching faculty at the 4th Wellington Echo-Doppler Conference in Wellington, New Zealand – conducting a seminar on Stress Echocardiography and demonstrating multiplane trans-thoracic echocardiography – 1994
● Conducted a two-week lecture tour through six cities in China – 1993
● Lectures to life insurance companies on executive health and executive stress
● Lectures on Preventative Cardiology to a wide range of groups in the community interested in health, diet and exercise.
● Lectures regularly throughout the world to medical, business and community groups on preventative health and other important lifestyle issues
● Has three regular radio programs in Australia – 2CH in Sydney, 3AK in Melbourne and 6PR in Perth
● Appears frequently in the Australian media discussing health issues.